Friday, January 2, 2009

Eau du Diet Coke

Normally I'm against New Year's Resolutions. Normally I'm against setting oneself up for utter and dismal failure. Normally I don't drink soda in the morning. However, this morning something happened to make me reconsider. Slightly.

It's 16 degrees out - has been cold for a week now and will be cold for the next 4 months. Usually I keep a few bottles of water in the car, most half full. This morning I opened the back door to my car and discovered a back seat full of that dirty crusty snow that is caked under my car. WTF? Who put dirty snow in my car? Since I'm the only one IN my car most of the time it must have been me, but why would I do that? In the past I have been known to leave my windows open (leading to icky wet seats), but it's way too friggin' cold for that. I checked anyway - no open windows. WTF AGAIN?? Then I take a whiff. Smells sweet. I look around and see a frozen bottle of water, and a frozen half full bottle of Diet Pepsi. Hmmm. Wait - there it is. A Diet Coke can, split open right down the side. Oh good grief. I left a can of the stuff in my car overnight and now I have frozen, exploded Diet Coke crusted ALL OVER the back of my car. Stuck to the back of the seat. Stuck to the maps. Crusted on the door, the floor, the cup holder and the Elmo Bag. (For those of you who don't know, the Elmo Bag is a permanent fixture in my car. It holds snacks loved by preschoolers the world over: baggies of Cheerios, Kashi and Cereal Surprise, boxes of raisins, granola bars, carrots, little bottles of water, little juice boxes and OCCASSIONALLY some Lego Snacks) Because it was 16 degrees outside it was an easy cleanup - pick off the crust and ice and toss it outside. My car looks cleaner than it has in weeks. And it has a slight scent of Eau du Diet Coke.

Which leads me to me New Year's Idea. Not a Resolution. Not a Revolution. Not a Constitution or Absolution. Just a Thought. What if I identified and wrote about a little something funny that happens every day. Nothing Earth Shattering, just a little "Oh Good Grief". I'm desperate for an attitude adjustment so perhaps this will help. My apologies in advance if I offend, for surely I will, and if I forget a day, a week, or a month, for I'll surely do that, too. But for now I'll start with "Even if you think it won't explode - it will."
Later gaters.

No comments: